Makin' Bacon - Part 1

Okay, my first attempt at homemade bacon was this morning. I got the recipe from HubPages.com












I started with a huge slab of pork belly and cut it into evenly sized slabs. I'm hoping I estimated the 5lbs. required in the recipe correctly. Otherwise, I'll need to adjust the salt in the next batches.

I'll store the other slabs in my freezer (double-bagged). If you have a freezer bag system, that would probably be a much better way to store these, but I'm not willing to spend the money on one just yet.






Recipe:

5lb. slab of pork belly
1/4c. salt (I used kosher)
1tsp. pink salt (bought from The Spice House
1/2c. maple syrup or honey (I used maple syrup)





Directions:

Slather the pork belly in the salt mixture (I didn't do this, but next time I'll mix the two salts together FIRST!).






Then slather with maple syrup.










Put it in a ziplock baggie and store in the fridge for 7 days (or until the bacon no longer gives when you poke it). Turn the bacon every day.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Copyright © 2010 • My Paleo-ish Food Journal • Design by Dzignine